Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sunday, July 25th, 2010

I fell asleep and slept late, so Hannah set my alarm clock to wake me up! For breakfast we had cereal, toast and passion fruit juice. Dorene and I did the dishes and then everyone got ready for church. The family, three interns, Lesefee (it was her 15th birthday), and our group went to Pastor Clebert's church. They usually go to Pastor Francois' church but Pastor Clebert was doing special services this weekend. We had church outside under a makeshift tent. The sides were lined with the most beautiful embroidered curtains! I was amazed at how well the people dressed. Despite the poverty level over there they were actually dressed in a nicer way than I dress for church. Most of the men in slacks, dress shirts and ties, some in full suits. The women were well dressed with nice shoes as well. There was a keyboard and two electric guitars. The singing was so cool! There were three different choirs there because of the special service. They each sang at least a couple different times. One of them was even divided into four part harmony. it was beautiful. There was LOTS and LOTS of singing. Jennifer sat beside me and I sorta mouthed (attempted) along with the Creole words in the hymnal. Then Pastor Clebert and his wife dedicated their baby. They were sitting up front and then the baby (well, toddler technically) started crying. Pastor Clebert's wife just started nursing her. It was a bit surprising at first but they have a different culture over there. After more singing Marty preached with Pastor Clebert translating. After more singing (I'm telling you they do a lot and it's such a joy to hear it!!) they had an altar call and five people came forward. It was a very moving service for me, despite the fact that I couldn't understand most of it. Afterward we ate lunch there. There was salad, rice and beans, pasta w/ ham and peppers, huddleoni-like pasta with spicy ketchupy stuff (huddleoni is meat, pasta, spaghetti sauce and cheese), fried potatoes, fried plantain, onion soup, and corn bread-like cake. After getting home from church we just had fun and played. I held Benji for a long time. I just loved getting to hold all the little kids. The group from the hospital (that flew down with us) came over for awhile. Ronald, Wesley, Davenel, and Logan went to watch a soccer game in town. Hilary, Hannah and I got permission to go join them. We walked into town but upon arriving at the soccer field the guys at the gate said we had to pay to get in. We didn't have any money on us of course, so we were going to go home, but then they said we could come in anyway! There is a wall built around the field for the purpose of making people pay to see the games. But apparently it didn't work so well. There were people watching through holes, sitting on the wall, and some people standing on the above ground graves in the cemetery across the street! Being there was quite an interesting peek into another aspect of Haitian culture. Back at the orphanage Otenel apparently decided that I was his temporary jungle gym. Then I played jump rope with Sabine, Galaan, Francois, Otenel and Hilary. The part of the time I jumped while holding Galaan on my back. That was quite difficult, but she laughed hysterically every time I did it! We had to be careful though because Danielle, Hannah and Logan were playing soccer with the older kids and sometimes the game came right over to us. After the kids went to bed we had dinner. It was potato soup w/ ham, corn and carrots and there was corn bread with it. It was delicious. We discussed climbing the mountain in the morning, but we would need a guide. The older boys had soccer practice and Jesse wasn't home, so that didn't work. We had Bible study and singing, and Benji joined us for that. It was so cute listening to her sing. I must say it has gotten a little uncomfortable to sleep at night because of one of the support bars in the mattress frame right across the middle of my back. But I honestly shouldn't complain, I at least had a bed. But since I'm journaling I decided to include that tidbit. I haven't been visited by any cockroaches, tarantulas or mosquitoes while in bed...so that's very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad you stopped by! Part of the fun for me in blogging is hearing from those who come to visit. If you want to comment or have additional thoughts I'd love to hear them. This is my rambling spot, so everything might not be clearly stated. Please keep it positive and Christ-honoring, but thought-provoking discussions are welcome! Quite honestly I'd be delighted if everybody who stopped by left a note.