Friday, September 11, 2009

Of books and reading...

I picked this up off someone’s blog and thought it would be cool to fill out. I decided to post it here, since reading is one of my passions (hmm...I think I now want to go do a word study on that and see what it deep down really means...), and I would love to read how others fill this out!

(several of mine aren't necessarily "in order" in the categories)

Top 3 authors:

1. C.S. Lewis

2. Albert Marrin

3. G.A. Henty

(Why do I have to stop there? I can't really pick three...L.M. Montgomery, George MacDonald, Marguerite Henry, Kate Seredy, R.C. Sproul, etc.)

Top 3 male characters:

1. Randal Baltimore from The Reb and the Redcoats by Constance Savery

2. Nat from The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth Speare

3. Ian & Alister from The Highlander's Last Song by George MacDonald

Top 3 female characters:

1.Ester Reid from Ester Reid by Isabella MacDonald Alden

2. Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery

3.Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Top 30 fiction books in no particular order:

1. The Highlander's Last Song by George MacDonald

2. Lad of Sunnybank by Albert Payson Terhune

3. The Reb and the Redcoats by Constance Savery

4. The Pansy Collection by Isabella MacDonald Alden

5. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

6. No Promises in the Wind by Irene Hunt

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

8. Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

9. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth Speare

10. Mara by Isabella MacDonald Alden

11. In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon

12. Gaudenzia, Pride of the Palio by Marguerite Henry

13. The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy

14. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.

15. Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott.

16. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

17. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth Speare

18. The Crown and Covenant Series by Douglas Bond.

19. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.

20. G.A. Henty books (he has bunches of them)

21. Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

22. Sir Gibbie by George MacDonald

23. Smoky the Cowhorse by James

24. Rebekah of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin

25. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

26. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

27. King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

28. The Good Master by Kate Seredy

29. Millions of Cats by Wanda Ga'g

30. The Story about Ping by Marjorie Flack

Top 3 books most recently read:

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

2. Redskin and Cowboy by G.A. Henty

3. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Worst 3 books ever read:

1. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

2. Twelve Caesars by Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus

3. When No One Was Looking by Rosemary Wells

Top 5 scenes from any book:

1. Discovering how the Reb escaped, The Reb and the Redcoats

2. Ian and Alister's deep conversations, The Highlander's Last Song

3. When Clint finds Smoky again, Smoky the Cowhorse

4. Kit's trial, The Witch of Blackbird Pond

5. Midnight and Michael at the end, The Chestry Oak

The book(s) that made me cry the most:

1. Paula, the Waldensian by Eva Lecomte

2. Mara by Isabella MacDonald Alden

3. No Promises in the Wind Irene Hunt

4. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

5. Treasure in an Oatmeal Box by Ken Gire

The book(s) that made me laugh the most:

1. The Good Master by Kate Seredy

2. The Reb and the Redcoats by Constance Savery

3. The World of Pooh by A. A. Milne

The book(s) that made me feel the best at the end:

1. The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis

2. Smoky the Cowhorse by Will James

3. The Chestry Oak by Kate Seredy

4. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

5. Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Contemporary or Historical?

1. Almost always historical...but sometimes there are good contemporary books

Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror?

1. No horror, I don't know if I've actually read any science fiction... maybe only some fantasy

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?

1. I like hardback best 'cause they last better, but I'm happy with a good deal on a paperback

Barnes & Noble or Amazon?

Amazon, I buy a lot from there.

Bookmark or Dog-ear?

Bookmark, never dog-ear! (That is the few times when I don't just look at the page number...and go back to it the next time I read)

Alphabetize by author, alphabetize by title, or organize not at all?

Well right now sort of categorized by group, but I don't have enough books of my own to really do that well

Star Wars or Star Trek?

Umm...never read any...

Keep, Throw Away, or Sell?

Keep ALL the good ones, throw away bad ones (why give junk to someone else?) and sell duplicates, etc.

Keep dust-jacket or toss it?

Keep it.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?

1. Depends on the book!

Little Women or Anne of Green Gables?

Anne of Green Gables...that wonderful imagination I can so relate to!

Short story or novel?

1. Both, but the short story has to be worthwhile, it has to be well written since there's not much to it. But I generally like longer books.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?

When I'm tired or have to go do something else. Chapter breaks only when that happens to be where I stop. (Btw, who reads chapter titles? I almost never do)

It was a dark and stormy night or Once upon a time?

Both...depends on the book

Tear Jerker or Belly Laugh?

Actually I like to get a good book that makes me cry because it's pretty hard to get me to do that in a book. I really like ones that are written in such a way as to draw me into the story that much. I do love a good laugh though.

Charlotte, Emily, or Anne Brontë?

Well...since I have only read Jane Eyre, and didn't like it, and I don't know which it was by, I haven't wanted to read more so I would say none.

Buy or Borrow?

Borrow if I’m checking it out, but I always want to buy books (anybody want to give me the money?)

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation, or Browse?

Recommendations and browsing, mostly.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?

Umm...I don't know, both?

Crane or Conrad?

The only Crane that I have read is The Red Badge of Courage, which was good, and I don't know Conrad.

Standalone or Series?

1. Both if they are good

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?

Depends again on the book, sometimes both are good...then again sometimes both stink

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Anytime! Duh!

Favorite genre series?

Umm... well I like the Crown and Covenant series, Elsie Dinsmore, The Kingdom Series, (how are you defining genre?)

New or used?

1. There is nothing like an old, worn cover…leaving you to wonder, who read this book before, the writing on the inside cover…timeless! I love a beautiful, new book too, but most books I like can't necessarily be found

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?

The Highlander's Last Song by George MacDonald, The Reb and the Redcoats by Constance Savery, Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis (I have lots of favorites...but the "of which nobody else has heard" part makes it easier...a little bit...or maybe not really at all? I decided to stop at three)

4 comments:

  1. Aaah! Books! Thanks for the post--I shall have to take some of your recommendations when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you decided to put this on your blog, as it was extremely interesting. It was fun to see some favorites we share and also get ideas for new books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you liked "The Reb and the Redcoats," I suggest you try some more books by Constance Savery, who wrote about fifty. Few are in print, but www.abebooks.com has many used titles. All are positive, and Savery devoted her life to serving her Lord. The titles published by Lutterworth were intended as Sunday School prizes and are specifically Christian. Of these, try "Meg Plays Fair," "Redhead at School," or "Breton Holiday." The third of these will force you to make the same difficult choice as its heroine: can you be persuaded to love someone who isn't lovable? Savery is also "Another Woman" who completed "Emma" by Charlotte Brontë. The book is about 10 percent Brontë, 90 percent Savery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestions! I should look into those, because I do REALLY enjoy The Reb and the Redcoats. She finished "Emma"? That sounds interesting...I've only read one Brontë girls books and didn't like it, but it would be interesting to read that one and see if it's different.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by! Part of the fun for me in blogging is hearing from those who come to visit. If you want to comment or have additional thoughts I'd love to hear them. This is my rambling spot, so everything might not be clearly stated. Please keep it positive and Christ-honoring, but thought-provoking discussions are welcome! Quite honestly I'd be delighted if everybody who stopped by left a note.